On my return, there was a note from FedEx stating they had a package they had tried to deliver, but were unsuccessful in the attempt. I thought it was some crap from work, but it turned out to be the toy I had pre-ordered and had hoped to pick up prior to jumping on an airplane. I was surprised they drop-shipped it to me, but it was a pleasant surprise.
It’s cool, and much smaller than I thought it would be.
- Gorgeous screen
- Decent feel in the hands
- Analog controller is clunky (I bet we’ll see a redesign inside six months)
- Case is a little too reflective, and the clear shoulderpad buttons are gonna get dirty
- Surprising graphics/sound capability, even with everyone saying how kick-ass it was
- Sleek, stylish form factor
- WiFi, and a TCP/IP stack that works
- No chance of it replacing my iPod for music
- Very good chance of it replacing my laptop as DVD player on flights
- Decent battery life
- Ass-tacular pack-ins (I mean really, a 32MB memory card for something that’s supposed to replace your media players? c’mon!!!)
- Goddamn Sony proprietary memory sticks. Stick to SD or CF, for crying out loud
- Good game selection
- Wip3out Pure
- No included web browser (yet!), and the WIpeout browser hack is not a good alternative
Very pleased with it. The movie playback on UMD was very nice, but I have a hard time picturing paying more than $10 for a movie, since you an’t use it on anything other than a PSP, and I’m betting Sony won’t sell ’em for less than $25. Games are great, but the packin of Gretzky was kinda lame – it’s a pretty shitty game, IMO.
Can’t wait for some of the third party apps to come out, ideally a MAME emulator or some such :)